Planet Earth

35 Mind-Blowing Facts About the Planet Earth

Earth is the third planet from the sun and the fifth largest in the solar system. Earth formed around 4.5 billion years ago.

Here we’re going to look at 35 mind-blowing facts about Earth, the planet we live on!

  1. Earth is the densest planet in the solar system.
  2. It is also the largest of the four rocky planets. The other three rocky planets are Mercury, Venus and Mars.
  3. Earth is about 150,000,000 kilometres (93,000,000 miles) away from the Sun.
  4. Earth’s atmosphere is composed of nitrogen (78%), oxygen (21%), and small amounts of argon (0.9%), carbon dioxide, water vapour, and other gases.
  5. The inner core of the Earth has the same temperature as the Sun.
  6. The highest mountain on the Earth is Mount Everest, which is about 8.8 km or 5.5 mi above sea level.
  7. The lowest point on Earth is the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. It is about 10.9 km or 6.8 mi below sea level.
  8. The Queen of the UK is the legal owner of one-sixth of the Earth’s land surface.
  9. The longest river on Earth is the Nile River in Africa, which is about 6,650 kilometres long.
  10. The tallest tree on Earth is Hyperion, which reaches a height of 115.92 m (380.3 ft).
  11. The hottest temperature ever recorded on Earth’s surface was 136 °F (57.8 °C) in El Azizia, Libya recorded in 1922.
  12. The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -126 °F (-87.8 °C) at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica on July 21, 1983.
  13. Earth is the only place in the solar system where water exists in its three forms like solid, liquid and vapour.
  14. Light takes an average of 8 minutes and 20 seconds to travel from the Sun to the Earth.
  15. A year on Earth is not 365 days; instead, it is 365.26 days. This extra 0.26 used to make a leap year once every four years.
  16. About 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water, mostly by oceans. That’s why people call it “Blue Planet”.
  17. Furthermore, humans have explored only five per cent of the Earth’s oceans.
  18. About 97.5% of the water is salted while the other 2.5% is freshwater.
  19. Most of the Earth’s freshwater, about 68.7%, is present in ice caps and glaciers as ice.
  20. Humans utilise only .003 per cent of the water on Earth.
  21. Earth is the only planet in our solar system, not named after a Greek or Roman God.
  22. The name “Earth” comes from an Old English word “eorthe”, meaning “land” or “soil”.
  23. Antarctica contains about 90% of the Earth’s ice (and thereby about 70% of the Earth’s freshwater). If all the ice melts, the sea levels will increase to about 60 meters (200 feet).
  24. Earth is the only planet in our solar system that has the largest natural satellite, the moon.
  25. Earth is the only place in our solar system where a solar eclipse can occur.
  26. The gravitational attraction between the Earth and the moon causes the tides on Earth.
  27. The highest point on the surface from Earth’s centre, and the closest point to the moon on Earth, is Mount Chimborazo.
  28. The driest place on Earth is the Atacama Desert in Chile, where the rainfall has never been recorded.
  29. There are over 7.6 billion people live on Earth.
  30. Veryovkina Cave is the deepest known cave on Earth. It has a depth of 2,212 meters (7,257 ft).
  31. One-third of the Earth’s land surface is either partially or entirely desert.
  32. The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is the largest single structure created by living organisms on Earth. Even, it can be seen from outer space.
  33. The largest non-polar desert, as well as the hottest desert on the Earth, is the Sahara desert.
  34. Earth is struck by lightning almost 8.6 million times a day.
  35. The Kola Superdeep Borehole is the deepest hole ever made into the Earth. It dug to learn more about the inside of the Earth. It is about 12,262 meters (40,230 feet) deep.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified of the latest facts and knowledge right to your inbox.

You May Also Like